Home Featured Former TFC keeper Monsalve expected to start FC Edmonton’s reserve match

Former TFC keeper Monsalve expected to start FC Edmonton’s reserve match

0
0
392
David Monsalve
Former Toronto FC goalkeeper David Monsalve is expected to get the start when FC Edmonton’s reserves face the Green and Gold Wednesday.

If Monsalve, who made one MLS apperance for TFC in 2007 and also played for the Reds in a friendly against Aston Villa, impresses in his audition, he will likely stick with the team and go on the road when FC Edmonton faces Carolina on Saturday.

Monsalve, who has been on trial with FC Edmonton for the past week, also played for FC Inter Turku in Finland. He was a member of the Canadian team that went winless at the U-20 World Cup, hosted here in 2007, and has made one senior appearance for the national team.

It could be a perfect marriage; after Lance Parker suffered a compound fracture of his right arm, FC Edmonton is left without an experienced back-up to veteran Rein Baart. Third-choice keeper Jaswinder Gill has missed the entire season so far because of injury and isn’t expected back anytime soon. So FCE needs a keeper. And Monsalve, who had an unsuccessful trial with TFC this year, needs to get back into the professional ranks.

Parker was competing with Baart for the No. 1 job before the injury. And Baart has shown maddening inconsistency in goal for FC Edmonton. He was brilliant in Wednesday’s draw with Carolina, but made two errors that led to FC Tampa Bay’s winning goal on Sunday. He’s had red-card trouble, as well — already earning two so far this season.

It’s in FCE’s best interests to have a keeper who can actually push Baart. And, while Monsalve is still officially a trialist, he can help his cause with a big show for the reserves.

SUSPENSION: FC Edmonton is expecting word from the NASL on Tuesday on whether or not any clemency will be shown to defender John Jonke.

The league suspended Jonke three games for a late challenge on Carolina’s Matt Watson in Wednesday’s 1-1 draw. Jonke came in late, but looked like he was trying to bail out of the challenge at the last second.

He began serving the suspension Sunday, and could only watch as Edmonton struggled with only one natural centre back — Paul Hamilton — in the lineup.

After the match, FCE coach Harry Sinkgraven met with NASL officials who were in Edmonton for the game, asking that the suspension be reduced. Sinkgraven allowed that the challenge was late, but that it wasn’t malicious.

NASL is expected to have a final answer Tuesday. FCE leaves for North Carolina Thursday — the club has a rematch with the top-of-the-table RailHawks on Saturday.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Charles
Load More In Featured

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Security Question *

Check Also

FC Edmonton says Landskrona BoIS can’t use Boakai until a deal is sealed

“They can’t do anything until they look after us,” said Miller. …