FCE parts ways with six players, including Hlavaty, Parker and James By Steven Sandor Posted on November 6, 2014 3 0 661 Share on Facebook Share on Twitter FC Edmonton has parted ways with six players — including NASL veterans Lance Parker, Neil Hlavaty and Horace James. The team also released Canadians Massimo Mirabelli and Edem Mortotsi, and former Chicago Fire midfielder Mike Banner, who missed almost all of the season with a knee injury. Coach Colin Miller said it was an amicable parting of the ways. “All of these lads have been fantastic professionals, and their attitude, work rate and effort has been fantastic while at FC Edmonton,” Miller said in a release. Parker’s season was derailed by a series of hand and shoulder injuries. The former Chivas USA keeper then saw John Smits post the best goals-against average of any keeper in the NASL who has enough minutes played to qualify for the Golden Gloves award (0.90). FC Edmonton’s Horace James, centre, skips by Indy’s Kleberson, left. PHOTO: FC EDMONTON/TONY LEWIS Hlavaty had been with FCE for two seasons and scored three times and added three assists. But Ritchie Jones emerged as the No. 1 central midfield option for the Eddies in the fall season. James scored twice and added two assists. He created issues for defenders on the right wing because of his speed, but Canadian Michael Nonni has also looked good in that spot. As well, moving James on now opens an international roster slot for the Eddies. Mirabelli played 727 minutes in 2013, and just a total of 62 minutes in 2014. With Lance Laing’s emergence as a true left winger, Mirabelli was simply squeezed out of the lineup. Mortotsi played just 56 minutes in the regular season. This was a player who Miller had praised during the season. Many times, he’d favourably compared Mortotsi to Vancouver Whitecaps midfielder Gershon Koffie. Miller said last week that he didn’t expect a major turnover at the club this season — maybe five or six roster spots.