Home Canadian Soccer CSA disciplinary committee clears Impact captain Pizzolitto

CSA disciplinary committee clears Impact captain Pizzolitto

Comments Off on CSA disciplinary committee clears Impact captain Pizzolitto
0
520
Nevio Pizzolitto, at Empire Field
The Montreal Impact announced Thursday that the Canadian Soccer Association has “acquitted” captain Nevio Pizzolitto in regards to an alleged spitting incident after the club was eliminated from the Nutrilite Canadian Championship by the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Pizzolitto had been accused of spitting on a fan May 4 after the Impact lost to the Whitecaps in extra time at Empire Field.

“I have never committed an act that could have been disrespectful to the game that I love and represent,” said Pizzolitto in a release. “I am a proud competitor who respects his opponents and its fans. Never would I have wanted to be disrespectful towards a soccer fan.”

And the Impact made no secret of the fact that it felt the CSA was heavy-handed in how the case was handled.

“I hope that our team captain’s exemplary reputation will not be tarnished by this regrettable incident because in his 17 career years with the Impact, he has always been a role model on and off the field,” said Montreal Impact president Joey Saputo. “I understand that the Canadian Soccer Association wants to promote respect during the games played in our country, but I don’t think it is necessary to intervene in these types of situations. I’m sure the association has more important issues to manage and therefore it should be choosing its priorities more carefully.”

The CSA had called a hearing for June 27, a day after the Impact had gone on the road to face FC Edmonton (a match that kicked off at 6 p.m. ET). Pizzolitto didn’t make the road trip and the Impact claimed it had advised the CSA that the defender was dealing with a death in his family. The CSA had gone the extra mile to schedule the hearing to be in Alberta so Pizzolitto could attend before the Impact went home.

Because Pizzolitto didn’t attend the hearing, he was suspended until he could answer to the charge — and the ban was lifted July 11.

Thursday came the news that the charge was dismissed.

The Canadian Soccer Associaton would not comment on the ruling, stating that the hearings are considered private matters between the parties involved and the disciplinary committee.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Charles
Load More In Canadian Soccer
Comments are closed.

Check Also

FC Edmonton says Landskrona BoIS can’t use Boakai until a deal is sealed

“They can’t do anything until they look after us,” said Miller. …