The Canadian Soccer Association and the Football Association of the Czech Republic have announced plans for their Nov. 15 friendly.
The Canadian Soccer Association and the Football Association of the Czech Republic have announced plans for their Nov. 15 friendly.
But it didn’t come to pass. Canada now has gone eight international matches without scoring a goal. The last marker came back on March 22, against Japan.
The two new additions were already announced, but they aren’t officially considered Canadian roster players. On Monday, Queens Park Rangers confirmed that Dylan Carreiro and Michael Petrasson, who are with QPR’s developmental program, have been named to the squad. The Canadian Soccer Association confirmed that the Petrasso and Carreiro have been invited to camp, but their spots are outside the 21-man roster.
It makes a lot of sense. If new national-team coach Benito Floro is going to have a long hard look at the London, England-based pair, it’s logical that he do so when he will be in London with the national side. The match against Australia will take place at Fulham’s Craven Cottage.
The most interesting subplot of a Canada-Australia match is the presence of Holger Osieck in the Aussies’ coaching box. Osieck led Canada to one of its most prestigious soccer titles, the capture of the Gold Cup trophy in 2000.
Midfielder Julian de Guzman was channeling his inner Adams in his post-game interview on Tuesday after Canada’s 1-0 loss to Mauritania in Oliva, Spain.n “It’s too early to hit the panic button,” de Guzman said as the Mauritanians’ celebration carried over from the field into their dressing room.
“It was OK because for us this was a training game,” said Floro. “The only difference between this and training is that the opponent is a national team with a good defensive structure. They made it difficult to develop our attack. But it’s a good test for us.”
FIFA’s calendar has indicated that Canada will face Australia on Oct. 16 in London, England.
Just last week, he received his permanent residency card. Now, Adekugbe — who came to Canada as a nine-year-old, where his family settled in Calgary — won’t take up a precious international spot and can be designated a Homegrown Player.
But, in his first camp as the national-team coach, the Spaniard has made it clear he wants to look at as many players as he can, both young and old. So, veterans such as Iain Hume, Julian de Guzman, Dwayne De Rosario and Atiba Hutchinson will be making the trip, as will youngsters such as the Vancouver Whitecaps’ Residency’s Jackson Farmer and the Montreal Impact Academy’s Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare.
The 11 offers insight, interviews and commentary by respected soccer journalists. It is affiliated with the Canadian soccer magazine, Plastic Pitch. Our editor, Steven Sandor, has covered Major League Soccer, United Soccer Leagues, World Cup qualifying, CONCACAF Champions League, women’s soccer and the Canadian Soccer League and has won numerous awards for his magazine work. His work has appeared in the Sun chain of newspapers, Soccer 360, World Soccer, Soccer Canada, Philadelphia Daily News and the Deseret News. His work has appeared in publications in Canada, the United States, Hungary, the Czech Republic, the United Kingdom and Namibia.