Home CONCACAF FIFA keeps status quo for 2014 World Cup; no extra slot for CONCACAF

FIFA keeps status quo for 2014 World Cup; no extra slot for CONCACAF

0
0
550


The status quo will remain for the 2014 World Cup.

The allocation of slots by regions will remain exactly the same as they were for the 2010 World Cup, despite hopes coming out of CONCACAF that this confederation would be bumped from three spots and a playoff berth to four clear slots.

While the message boards had heated up over this topic, the indications from Zurich have always been that the status quo was going to remain. During the World Cup last year, FIFA declared that it wasn’t going to touch the slots. But, as rumours grew that there may be a power play in the executive committee — and that FIFA president Sepp Blatter may have to use spots are bargaining chips to consolidate his power — talk emerged that CONCACAF could benefit.

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said during Thursday’s press conference that there was “quite and extensive discussion” about the awarding of slots, but the status quo prevailed.

Only change? There will be a draw for the playoff slots; so the fourth-place team from CONCACAF could meet the playoff team from South America, Oceania or Asia. So, Canadian soccer fans — like supporters from the rest of the region — will be hoping we draw Oceania. As good as New Zealand looked at the 2010 World Cup, it’s a far more preferable draw than a Paraguay, Uruguay or Chile — or an emerging Asian side.

That draw will take place in Brazil in July, so the playoff schedule will be known before qualifying begins.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Charles
Load More In CONCACAF

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Security Question *

Check Also

Miller on U-20 call-up for Shome: “If there is a better young player in our league, I have yet to see it”

“Shamit, and I’ve said this before, if there is a better young player in our league, I hav…